Call for DOHaD Canada President-Elect and Council Nominations
We are currently seeking DOHaD Canada members who would like to play an active role in guiding our Society. DOHaD Canada is managed by DOHaD Canada Council, a standing body of representatives of the Canadian DOHaD Community. This cycle up to 13 Councillors, an Elected President and an Incoming Secretary are being sought through election.
Deadline for nominations is December 3, 2022.
Council members are drawn from all regions of Canada, and specialties (basic sciences, clinical sciences, population research and public health). There are 2 ‘in training’ members of Council. Current Council members are listed below. The Council ‘meets’ by teleconference 6-8 times a year, and in person at each Annual meeting (when possible). Leadership of the Council is made up of a President, a Secretary and a Treasurer and this body (Executive) ‘meets’ by teleconference 8- 10 times a year and in person at each Annual meeting.
Qualifications for joining Council are DOHaD Canada membership (at the Faculty level), a desire to have a say, and willingness to participate in developing the Society’s strengths and activities. We welcome people at all faculty career levels and strive for diversity. Each member of Council serves for three (3) years and can serve up to two consecutive terms. Any DOHaD Canada member can nominate themselves for the Council election, or nominate another member, but please check with them first; we will need an e-mail from the individual stating that they are willing to stand. Nominees must be DOHaD Canada members in good standing and actively engaging in DOHaD-Canada type research/activities. DOHaD Canada Council members must be active members of DOHaD International.
Council seats open for re-election this year are (The number in the brackets indicates the number of Council Seats):
|Province||Number of Council Seats|
We are also calling for nominations to fill in the positions of DOHaD Canada President-Elect and Incoming Secretary. The President-Elect will become a member of the Executive and will begin their term at the 2023 AGM. They will take office as President at the 2024 DOHaD AGM. The Incoming Secretary will begin their term at the 2023AGM and will take office as Secretary at the 2024 DOHaD AGM. Nominations for DOHaD Canada Executive positions require previous membership of DOHaD Canada Council. Nominees must be current or former DOHaD Canada Council members in good standing and actively engaging in DOHaD-Canada type research/activities. The DOHaD Canada President-Elect and Incoming Secretary must be active members of DOHaD International.
All nominations to Council seats must include a cover letter (max 1-page) explaining why the nominee is a good candidate for the position and a SHORT (1 page) brief CV highlighting roles and responsibilities that make the nominee suitable for the position. The Cover letter and CV will be distributed to the membership for review prior to voting. In addition, the nominee must provide e-mail confirmation that they are willing to be nominated. Nominations for DOHaD Canada President-Elect must include in the cover letter a brief description of their vision about DOHaD Canada for the next 3 years.
The Canada DOHaD Society is committed to supporting and promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion. We value input from all the researchers and communities we represent and recognize and respect human differences and similarities. As such, we encourage applications from women, members of BIPOC communities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, persons with disabilities, members of diverse gender identities, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas for the benefit of our Society.
Deadline for nomination: December 3, 2022. Please e-mail nominations and self-nominations to Secretary@dohad.ca. Questions? Please contact Secretary@dohad.ca.
DOHaD Canada Council 2022
|Meghan Azad||Council member||MB|
|Luigi Bouchard||Council member||QU|
|Stephane Bourque||Council member||AB|
|Vern Dolinsky||Council member||MB|
|Gerald Giesbrecht||Council member||AB|
|Sheila Hirani||Council member||SK|
|Maryam Kebbe||Council member – Trainee Representative||Trainee rep|
|Mike Kobor||Council member||BC|
|Anita Kozyrskyj||Council member||AB|
|Pablo Nepomnaschy||Council member||BC|
|Sophie Petropoulos||Council member||QC (at-large)|
|Stephen Renaud||Council member||ON|
|Deb Sloboda||DOHaD International Liason||ON|
|Ryan Van Lieshout||Council member||ON|
|Ian Weaver||Council member||NS|
Benefits to DOHaD Canada Membership:
- DOHaD Canada provides a forum to support cutting edge transdisciplinary research, collaboration and knowledge exchange with a goal of improving life-long health, learning and social function.
- DOHaD Canada provides and supports national networking opportunities for all members including PIs and Trainees, and plans on holding an annual meeting
- DOHaD Canada will disseminate news, information and funding opportunities relevant to members
- In the future, DOHaD Canada plans to provide workshop support and Trainee programs (research and travel bursaries) that will be available to members
Join DOHaD International
Advantages of membership:
- Subscription to the Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease (JDOHAD)
- Regular newsletter highlighting hot topics and current research initiatives across the field
- Details of workshops, meetings and conferences
- Eligibility to apply for a financial contribution to support workshops, meetings and conferences
- Preferential registration rates at World Congresses
- Opportunity to join an international scientific network which promotes an interdisciplinary and integrative approach to research
- A password-protected section of the website, giving members’ key publications, contact details, and a discussion forum.